CrossFit Reston posted on Facebook
Chili Cook Off, Update. Chili Rules Posted Below. Sign Up Sheet will be on the Office Door at CF Reston for evening classes. Prizes for Winners in several categories.
CrossFit Reston Chili Cook Off Rules
Location: 11576 Greenwich Point Road, Reston, VA 20194
October 18, 2015
For this Cook Off, ANYTHING GOES. You pick, Vegatarian, Spicy, Red Chili, Green Chili, Beans, No Beans. Sky is the limit.
For this event, you may prepare your Chili Entry ahead of time and bring it in a Crock Pot or a Pot that we can put on the stove top.
Contestants should bring enough to have about 50 guests have a taste and score the Chili. It will just be a small taste, like 2 bites. After the judging, we are sure that there will be folks that want to reload.
Entries should be anonymous. Everyone will be given Scoring Sheets that has a number that corresponds to the chili so we can tally up the final results.
Judging, of course, is the crux of the event, and as such, has its own set of regulations (which will appear on your scoring sheet) , not the least of which is a standardized set of criteria that determines what makes a great chili.
Chili Cooks—please take note
In a chili cook-off, that begins with a set of five specific criteria by which each chili is judged:
• Color — Does the chili look appetizing? Does it look bright and colorful or dull and bland?
• Aroma — Does it smell good? Does the aroma make you want to dig in?
• Consistency — How is the meat-to-sauce ratio? It shouldn’t be runny, mushy or overly thick.
• Taste — How is the flavor? Do the ingredients blend well, or is one too overpowering? Does the first bite make you want another one?
• Aftertaste — Once you swallow, is there a spicy taste (“bite”) that stays on your tongue? Is it delicious?
Awards will be given for:
1. Best Overall Chili
3. Best Vegetarian
4. Most Colorful
5. Most Elusive Secret Ingredient